Alaska Regional Hospital's Family Birth Center understands that a new life is about your baby — and it's about you.
For many generations, we've been bringing babies into the world, making sure that each new life heads in the right direction. Experienced and first-time mothers say Alaska Regional's Family Birth Center differs from other hospitals in the ways that matter most: by providing the best care in a pleasant environment. Top-ranked physicians and nurses have the collective experience of thousands of deliveries, including high-risk and multiple births. And, as mothers and fathers themselves, the staff knows firsthand what it takes to make a family-friendly hospital.
Having a baby is one of the most sacred events in life. From the very first second of a new life, Alaska Regional helps promote physical and emotional bonding. Since our approach is family-centered care, we work with moms to provide a comfortable and relaxing birthing atmosphere.
Birth Center Upgrades
Our $50 million facility modernization project is underway. First up: renovations to our Family Birth Center, including king size postpartum beds, so mom and her new baby can recover comfortably in an enhanced, healing environment.
Prior to Delivery
Join us and take a hosted tour of the Family Birth Center. We encourage you to ask questions and get to know our staff while you learn about the equipment and the facilities.
In preparation for your baby's arrival, follow these steps for a healthy pregnancy, and sign up to take a class designed to prepare you to approach labor, delivery, and early parenting with confidence and support. Both first-time and “experienced” expectant parents are welcome. Learn more about Childbirth Education Classes at Alaska Regional Hospital »
Before your delivery date, pre-register online. Pre-registration allows for faster admission when the baby is ready to arrive. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the terms of your insurance coverage in order to understand how your benefits apply to Alaska Regional Hospital’s billing procedures and charges. If you are self-pay, a financial counselor can assist with payment options. If you have questions about insurance coverage or would like to verify eligibility, please contact our Patient Financial Counselors at 264-1795 or 264-1654.
Choose a physician or midwife for your obstetrical are and a physician for your baby's care. For more information on obstetricians/gynecologists who are accepting new patients, please call our free Physician Referral line at 264-1722 (local) or 888-254-7884 (toll-free). or visit our Find a Doctor page. You can reach the referral service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Request a doctor by specialty, location or health insurance acceptance.
Labor & Delivery
Here are a few reasons we believe you'll prefer the Family Birth Center at Alaska Regional Hospital:
- A spacious birthing suite with private bathroom and shower designed to ensure your comfort, complete with furnishings including a birthing bed, sofa sleeper, and glider rocker.
- Free Wi-Fi and cable TV/DVD will have you feeling right at home.
- You and your baby will rest and recover together in your room.
- Medical equipment that might be necessary during your birth is available and close at hand.
- Our state-of-the-art infant security system will protect your baby throughout your hospital stay.
- Pain management to suit your preference.
- Access to a hydrotherapy room is available for use during labor.
- You may choose for family to be present during delivery.
- In the rare case of needed critical support for your newborn, we have the latest technology and access to Neonatologists in our Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Once your little one has arrived, you can relax knowing your baby is receiving high-quality care from our expert Mother/Baby staff.
- You and your baby will rest and recover together in a spacious suite with private bathroom and shower, with the option of having your newborn in the nursery so you may rest.
- Dads or another support person may “room in” with you during this special time.
- Enjoy a “New Parent Dinner” for two.
- Visiting hours allow family and guests to ooh-and-ahh over your new addition.
- Support from our Board-certified Lactation Consultant if you choose to breastfeed.
- Our infant security system will protect your baby throughout your hospital stay.
- Our secure, password-protected Web Babies site provides an easy way for friends and family to catch a glimpse of your adorable new baby and write a keepsake message in the electronic baby book.
Main Number 276-1131
Physician Referral 264-1722 or 888-254-7884
Patient Financial Counselors 264-1795 or 264-1654